The Grand National Steeplechase is approaching. The excitement and anxiety of who is going to win which is unavoidable. It seems as if the Grand National odds are shaping up, so to speak. We are here with some interesting facts that you all may not know about the Grand National Steeplechase.
- The horse with the most wins of the Grand National Steeplechase is Red Rum. Red Rum won the Grand National three times. The years that Red Rum won were 1973,1974, and 1977.
- In 2018, the prize for the Grand National Steeplechase was huge. The total prize was £1m, and this year’s prize for the winning horse and jockey will be the same. In U. S. currency this is equal to $1,320,681.21.
- The Aintree Racecourse is actually named after an old Viking settlement.
- The Grand National steeplechase has had women jockeys race since 1977.
- The woman who had the best result as a woman was Katie Walsh. She raced in 2012, where she received a third-place finish overall.
- There has been some drama and chaos at the Grand National Steeplechase. In fact, in 2012, there was a fiasco that took place. There was a false start at the beginning of this race. There were 30 horses who took off at the beginning, they completed the Grand National race, only to be told that there was this false start that occurred. After the race was over, the Jockey Club said this voice null and void. This meant that £75m in winnings had to be returned. It has been dubbed, “the race that never was.”
- There are three different stages in the Grand National festivities.
- The Grand National Steeplechase is more like a social event, especially for the ladies. They dress up very nice and always haveghg a great hair piece or beautiful and elaborate hat on.
- There is a huge prize for the ladies at the Grand National Steeplechase. The award is given to the one who is the most elegantly dressed at the racecourse. This is a big deal for all of the ladies who come to celebrate the races.
- There is a huge advertising campaign for the Grand National Steeplechase. It is one of the most commercialized sports in the entire world.
- The Grand National Steeplechase is the most important and the greatest horse race in the whole world.
- This race is one of the biggest, as far as winnings go, in the entire world of sports.
- The first day is the opening day, followed by Ladies’ day, and the third day is the Grand National Steeplechase event.
- Ladies’ day is the day where women from all over strut their stylish clothes in hopes to win the Style Award.
- Over 600 million people watch the Grand National Steeplechase race. This is by far the most viewers in the world for any sports-related event. The Grand National is twice as big as the Kentucky Derby in the United States.
Related article: Grand National 2019: Watch the Drama Unfold